Friday, July 13, 2012

Back in Mildura

Hello all,
We returned to Mildura a couple days ago and it is good to be back--even just having lived here for a week or so before leaving it has that kind of "home" feeling for all of us as opposed to being in the middle of nowhere for a week, although it was very fun.

Our last in Broken Hill was very special. We all gathered in the lounge of the Palace Hotel with one of our mentors who is a native, Peter. He had us all go around and talk about what we had enjoyed most, or something that made us laugh, or just sharing memories.

At the end he taught us some of his traditional native dances, and told us the story of the "spirit bird", it's a story that I cannot re-tell because it could never be the same as when he told it, it was the perfect way to end the field trip.

Today I finished selecting my photos for my portfolio and the next few days we will be preparing.

I am enjoying being back in Mildura--we know our way around town and have had a good time walking around. Yesterday morning my friend Shelby and I went and got a coffee and sat outside, we ended up staying there for over two hours talking to a couple of local kids our age talking about lots of differences between here and America, and all of our favorite music.

Last night we got a deal at one of our favorite bars called Sets. The first 50 people to go in and buy a pint of one of the beers on tap and we got a free steak and a plate of chips (chips=french fries). So everyone in our hostel and our professors met up at Sets and we all enjoyed dinner together after we went to another gallery opening.

This afternoon I've got plans to go in town with some friends and get ice cream at the famous "48 Flavours" Ice Cream Parlor.

All is well in Mildura! Loving it, and missing you all! :-)

3 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued by the "Spirit Bird" story and its meaning - I am sure it was a powerful piece of local history that helped to bring things full circle. This is the experience I hoped for you and I am so thankful it was able to happen! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so glad you are enjoying this adventure. Thanks for taking the time to blog, it sounds like you are making the most of your experience and making lasting friends and memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for giving the opportunity, honestly, it's the best.

    ReplyDelete